Never before has our home been so important in how we feel every day. Suddenly, we are in our homes a whole lot more than we ever planned to be and whether we are conscious of it or not, how it looks has a major impact on how we feel and therefore, how we are coping with lockdown. I am the only mural artist I know, who is a trained interior designer, so I am better placed to help my clients make the most of the space they have.
What has brought me pleasure is the messages from clients telling me how their murals have brought them happiness during these difficult times. Sounds a bit crazy, but knowing I have done my very small bit to make life a little better for people, makes me happy.
Sadly, I can’t paint many murals at the moment, (although I am continuing to design, ready to paint as soon as is safe), I can help you to make your home a better place to spend time.
Here are my tips for home happiness during lockdown:
- Try not to have all your house looking the same. If you have the space, make different rooms look and feel different, some rooms busier, others less so, some with more colour, others with less. This will give you some variety, which is so important now. If you are unable to have different rooms feel different, try zoning off your main living space into areas that have their own personality.
2. Art is incredibly import to our mental state and surrounding yourself with art that makes you happy will have a positive effect on how you feel. If you are not lucky enough to have a mural, buy some art or commission a canvas and hang it somewhere you spend time. Charlotte Designs creates larger canvasses to order which can be shipped anywhere, the perfect alternative to a mural. There is an initiative on Instagram at the moment where artists are offering smaller works for £200 or less, search on #artistsupportpledge or search up local artists and purchase something that speaks to you. Buying art is something you never regret.
3. Sometimes rearranging the furniture is all that is required. Think about how you use your space and how this can be best enhanced by the arrangement of the furniture. Every room should have a focal point, and your view from the key seating positions should be carefully considered. Now is the perfect time to try different layouts and see what works best for how you like to live.
4. If you can’t resist getting the paint rollers out, then go for it. Paint a single wall a brighter colour and see how it effects your mood. If you don’t like it, you can always paint over it. Paint can still be bought from Amazon and the Little Greene Paint company were also shipping at the time of writing.
5. If you do have some time on your hands, why not have a go at one of our DIY murals? Each week Charlotte Designs is producing a free tutorial on our website, on how to produce a simple mural. Judging by some of the messages I have had, you are having some fun with these. DIY Mural Tutorials
We hope that you emerge from lockdown with some different ideas on how your can improve your home and make it work for you better. If I can be of any help to anyone looking to make changes to their home, please do drop me a line firstname.lastname@example.org